Best diet plans and best diet tips explained

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Free Dog Training Tips

By Julie Lees

All of us with dogs at home know just how important dog training is. It is possible to train dogs of all ages, not only puppies and it not only saves mess and destruction in your house but results in a content dog too. I am the proud owner of a Border Terrier dog named Ruby. She is just over a year old and I bought her as a puppy. A friend of mine already had two border terriers of her own and gave me lots of advice and information about their temperament, size, grooming and exercise before I decided this was the breed for me. It is important before you buy a dog to consider all of these things, especially their size as an adult and exercise requirements. It is obviously not a good idea to buy a large dog if you live in a small house or one that requires a lot of exercise if you do not have the time to take it out every day.

The first few weeks were a bit hectic. I seemed to be constantly running around following this puppy and teaching her all the basic things she needed to know. What is important with all dogs is that constant praise is essential. No matter what you are teaching your dog to do, lavish praise on them every time they get it right. Your dog will very quickly appreciate this and want to please you all the more.

The same goes for reprimanding them when they do bad things. By this I mean using a stern voice which will be recognised instantly when they understand you are not happy. I never hit my dog when she gets it wrong as this is very confusing for her and can result in aggression. If you have a dog that you find does not respond to well to walking on a lead then I would highly recommend buying a harness instead. There are many available in pet shops and once you have mastered the art of fitting and adjusting it they can be put on very quickly. My dog can be very excitable at the prospect of walkies but I have found that she responds much better when walking with a harness.

These are only a few tips on getting started with your puppy training or dog training. I would strongly recommend that you read as much as you can about training your dog, but please remember it is up to you to devote the time and patience to your pet to get any results. Always make sure training is a pleasurable experience and in a safe environment.

My dog is not perfect like a show dog, but she is now obedient and great fun to have around. I hope you have found these tips on dog training useful as a starting point. If you are interested in finding out how to train your dog, and watch a free lesson online you can find more by visiting here.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Thanks for the tips man... I hope it works..